Last updated: February 10, 2020
We’re looking for expressive professionals who have successfully transitioned from lives of immaturity and ignorance to lives of fulfillment, triumph, and joy. The ideal writer for Modern Ratio is one who is thoughtful, experienced, and personable. We don’t accept one-off submissions or guest contributions.
Why write for Modern Ratio?
Modern Ratio is a growing online platform where you can express yourself and have your voice heard by an audience who shares in your interests. If you’re constantly working to improve yourself and become a more mature adult, and if you want to empower others to grow in their own ways, no other upstart site will treat you better. Modern Ratio is an independent publication with a stable source of funding.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Commentary. Take a topic and give your thoughts on it. It could be a constructive rant, or a persuasive piece, or a deep-dive exploration, or a sharing of your experiences with something new or old, or any number of other formats. Example: Why I’m Never Using Tinder Again.
- Lists. This is about as open-ended as it gets: things you want to recommend, things you’re looking forward to, things to know about a particular subject, things you love or hate about something, things to watch out for, etc. Example: X Things Every Bachelor Needs for a Cozy and Welcoming Apartment.
- Explainers. Take a topic and explore it in a more objective way than a commentary. These tend to be factual and/or historical, and tend not to involve as much injection of opinions. Example: What Is Zinc Soap and How Does It Help Fight Dermatitis?
- Guides. Teach readers how to do something. Writers should have personal experience with whatever it is they want to teach. Example: How to Wear a Denim Jacket and Look Good While Doing It.
What are the expectations?
Modern Ratio articles should be between 600 and 1,200 words. Contributors are expected to submit between 1 to 8 articles per month.
What makes a good Modern Ratio article?
- Write with a purpose. If you want to argue for or against something, be sure you know what your stance is. Wishy-washy, half-hearted, or lukewarm positions are boring. We want writers who have convictions. Know what you want to say, then say it well.
- Write for readers. Modern Ratio is not meant to be your personal blog. Just because you want to write about something doesn’t mean people will want to read it. We want writers who can identify interesting topics that will engage readers.
- Be different. We want writers who don’t just have something to say, but can stand out from other writers. Say something insightful, say something funny, say something controversial, say something in a new way that resonates. No generic rubbish, please.
- Be honest and relatable. We want writers who can carry a conversational tone but remain professional. We dislike writing that’s academic, distant, or dry. Be vulnerable and show your personality.
- Be nuanced and constructive. There are plenty of things we don’t like, but Modern Ratio prides itself on not being a negative platform. Constructive criticism is good; blatant hostility is not. Jerks and elitists need not apply.
We only publish fresh content and will not publish articles that have already been published elsewhere. We retain the copyrights on all articles published on Modern Ratio, and we do not allow our articles to be republished elsewhere.
How much does Modern Ratio pay?
All Modern Ratio contributors are paid $80 per article.
We pay once a month, at the beginning of every month, via Payoneer.