Last Updated: August 1, 2019
There are three steps to publishing a Modern Ratio article:
Let’s dive into each step in more detail.
Step 1: Pitching
All pitches are handled directly in WordPress.
Before pitching an idea, make sure it hasn’t been done already. The easiest way to do this is to go to the Content Overview page, change the starting date to August 1 2019, show 999 days, and view all statuses. This will present an overview of ALL posts on the site, which you can search through.
You can also run Google searches (using “site:modernratio.com” to filter results) to look for articles that have already been published.
To pitch an idea:
- Go to the WordPress Dashboard.
- At the top, hover over New and click Post.
- Fill in the Title you want for the post.
- Under Categories, select the best category for the post.
- Under Metadata, fill in the pitch details to describe the post.
- Change the Post Status to Draft, then back to Pitch. (This is a temporary workaround to trigger Pitch status for a new draft. Please don’t skip this step.)
- Click Save to submit the pitch for review.
You may submit multiple pitches at a time.
When the Editor in Chief reviews your pitch, they may leave an “editorial comment” on the post draft if the idea needs to be refined or if details need to be clarified. Otherwise, it’ll be approved and the post status will be changed from Pitch to Draft. You may write and submit any Draft you have.
Step 2: Writing
We recommend writing your article directly in WordPress to avoid broken HTML code that can happen when transferring articles in from external writing apps. Since we use the new Gutenberg Editor, writing directly in WordPress is pain-free and even enjoyable.
In addition to writing the article, fill out these WordPress fields:
- Featured Image (see style guidelines for sizing)
Do not add tags! The editor will add tags after reviewing your submission.
Step 3: Submitting
Before clicking “Submit for Review,” proofread to make sure there are no blatant errors in your copy.
You should also check for the following:
- Word count is within limits
- Internal links have been inserted where relevant
- Style is consistent with Modern Ratio’s style guidelines
- Images are uploaded, not hotlinked
Note: The WordPress editor has a handy checklist box in the sidebar that shows everything you need to do before submitting a post so you don’t forget!
You don’t need to wait until your article is reviewed to begin working on your next Draft. In fact, we recommend you keep several approved Drafts on standby so you always have something to work on. Don’t wait until you run out of Drafts before pitching more ideas.
If you have any questions about anything in the Writing Workflow, reach out to the Editor in Chief for clarification.